Dachau was one of the first concentration camps and is the only camp to have existed throughout the entire twelve years of Nazi rule. In its early years, it was the largest and most well-known concentration camp. The name 'Dachau' soon spread fear and terror throughout Germany.
History may never know how many people were interned there or died there, due to periods of disruption. One source gives a general estimate of over 200,000 prisoners from more than 30 countries. 25,613 prisoners are believed to have died in the camp and almost 10,000 in its subcamps, primarily from disease, malnutrition and suicide.
The roll call yard - the prisoners would have to line up here twice a day, in every weather condition and be counted. Sometimes they would have to wait an hour or more.
The entrance gate to Dachau with the phrase "Work Makes You Free"
Prisoner Restroom - one per bunker. When Dachau was liberated by the Americans in 1945, 1600 people were in a bunker. That means 1600 people shared this many toilets. (The bunkers were originally built to house 250 people)
Group bunk beds where the prisoners slept head to foot.
Crematorium
Crematorium
Gas Chamber
"First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out, for I was not a socialist. Then they came for the trades unionists, and I did not speak out, for I was not a trades unionist. Then they came for the gypsies, and I did not speak out, for I was not a gypsy. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out, for I was not Jewish. Then they came for me. And there was no one left to speak out for me."
--- Martin Niemoller, Dachau Survivor
No comments:
Post a Comment