As Thanksgiving approaches, I have been thinking of the things that I am grateful for. My list is probably similar to the lists made by 99% of the population, as it includes things like family, friends, my job, my home, this country, and the gospel.
However, there is one thing on my list that I was having a hard time articulating until I read this quote from Elder Dallin H. Oaks...."Let us give thanks for what we are and for the circumstances God has given us for our personal journey through mortality."
Often, it is hard to be grateful for our circumstances, especially when they don't conform to what society says they should be. Being 34 and single is something that most people in Utah frown upon. It is often hard to hear the comments and questions about my situation and to address the curiosity as to why I'm not married.
I would love to have a husband and a few little midgets. However, that is not in the plan the Lord has for me yet. And I can accept that, knowing that the Lord loves me and that my time will come.
So, yes, this holiday season, I'm choosing to be grateful for who I am and the circumstances that God has given me for my personal journey through this life. Because of my situation, I have made many wonderful friends, I have a job that allows me to help in the spreading of the gospel around the world, and I have been able to travel to many amazing places. Although I didn't choose my circumstances, I'm grateful for the way my life has turned out.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment