I have been thinking lately about the many blessings I have in my life, especially the things that I often take for granted or overlook. Since November is a month dedicated to thankfulness and gratitude, I'm going to list something each day that is a blessing in my life. These won't be in any order of importance, they will just be something that I feel grateful for that day.
Nov. 1 - My friend Taz. It's been 10 years since I first met her, and I can't imagine my life without her. I often tell her that she brings clarity to my life, as she can listen endlessly to my ramblings, making sense of them, and know exactly what to say. She is an amazing person, and a great example to me.
Nov. 2 - Sundays (the day of the week, not the ice-cream). Sundays are special for me, they are the 1 day every week when I can set aside all of my stress and angst and focus on the important things. When I returned home from my mission I made a decision to not watch t.v., listen to the radio, or study for school on Sundays. This was a way for me to set apart this one day from the other six. I know that my life has been blessed as I have kept the Sabbath day holy and focused on the things that matter most.
Nov. 3 - The Internet. I'm grateful for the internet not only because my job depends on it, but because of the impact it is having on the gospel. Recently, the brethren stated that the purpose of the internet is: "To hasten the work of helping individuals and families: understand and live the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, gather into the kingdom of God and receive the ordinances of exaltation, and help them follow the example of the Savior in serving and strengthening one another."
Nov. 4 - Democracy. I love this quote from Harry Emerson Fosdick - "Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in ordinary people." (Harpers Monthly Magazine in November 1925) Although I don't want to vote for either presidential candidate in the election, I'm still grateful that I live in America and have the opportunity to cast my vote.
Nov. 5 - Prophets. We are blessed to have a living prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, who leads and guides the Church. As the prop 8 stuff has been happening lately, I have been saddened by those who choose to speak out against the prophet and the Church for our decision to uphold marriage as being between a man and a woman. I recently read an article by Elder Neal A. Maxwell, which was published in the Ensign in February, 1979. In this article Elder Maxwell states, "Make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it difficult to decide between two opinions." He also states, "This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ!" I'm grateful that I have made the decision to follow the Prophet and the other Apostles.
Nov. 6 - Martin. He called me today because we hadn't spoken in awhile and he wanted to catch up. He is such a good brother and I'm very proud of him!
Nov. 7 - Mom and Dad. I got to hang out with the folks on Friday night. We went to dinner and then just spent several hours talking. I love the relationship I have with them, it feels like we are not just related, but also good friends.
Nov. 8 - My life. My mom and I witnessed a pretty bad accident today that stunned and shocked us. Neither of us had ever seen two cars collide like that, causing one to spin out of control and rollover several times. I saw the car ahead of me run the red light, and I could see the other car coming right at it, so I knew what was going to happen, and I felt so helpless to stop the inevitable. Although no one died, I was reminded of how fleeting life can be, and that it is important to live each day to the fullest.
Nov. 9 - My Primary Class. I'm lucky enough to teach Tac, Jaiden, Braiden, Justin, Jaydn, Brooklyn, Jessica, and Kendall every Sunday!
Nov. 10 - rain.
Nov. 11 - My ipod.
Nov. 12 - Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Nov. 13 - The Book of Mormon. I'm very grateful that we have this additional book of scripture which testifies of Jesus Christ. I love reading from it and learning more about the gospel.
Nov. 14 - My cell phone. My dad lost his cell tonight and he asked me what I would do if I lost mine. I immediately started to feel panicked, just thinking about losing it. My cell phone allows me to connect with all my friends and family and I'm very grateful for it.
Nov. 15 - My dad. Even though he was tired and sore from a very long day, he still took the time to fix my toilet so that it doesn't make weird noises anymore.
Nov. 16 - My health. I'm feeling sickly today, so I've been thinking a lot about how I usually take my health for granted. One day of being sick is all it takes for me to remember, though, how grateful I am for it!
Nov. 17 - prayer.
Nov. 18 - Matt. He called me because he thought I was going home today and wanted to hang out. He is such a great brother and I'm glad that he wants to hang out with his older sister!
Nov. 19 - ice cream.
Nov. 20 - Mici. I love how she calls and sings Christmas songs on my voicemail. They make me smile. She is not only a good sister, but a great friend.
Nov. 21 - My nieces and nephews. Corey, Mashayla, Sunny, Hallie, Kylee, Kenzi, Hunter, Braxton, Madison, Kole, Britton, Lily, Nick, Tayson, and Bailey.
Nov. 22 - Saturdays. It is so nice to have Saturdays off and to be able to relax and not have to worry about work. For many years I had to work nights and weekends and I always looked forward to the time when I would have the weekends off. I still can't believe I'm all grown up now and can do whatever I want to do on Saturdays.
Nov. 23 - Home Teachers. Mine visited me today and shared a great message about prayer. It's nice to have good home teachers that I can call if I ever need anything.
Sunday, November 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Mindie you are such a great person! Thank you for being thankful for me. Im definitely thankful for you!!! 10 years...sheesh! I can't wait to be your neighbor!!!!
Post a Comment